Gareth Metcalfe I See Maths: EYFS & KS1 Training Day
Early Number Sense: Beyond Counting
Monday 15th July 2019 - NEW DATE ADDED due to high demand
9:30am – 4:30pm
Early bird offer - £80 per person if booked before the end of February 2019
Places are strictly limited and we anticipate very high demand
This day will give a clear approach for how children develop a strong number sense and learn to calculate in early mathematics. The ‘I Can Calculate’ guidance outlines the early mathematical experiences that allow children to develop a secure ‘number feel’, preparing them to use different calculation techniques in KS1. It also maps out how equipment and visual images can be used to build an understanding of number.
Examples will be shared of how fluency in EYFS and KS1 mathematics can grow as children engage with rich problems.
A range of new ideas and free resources for Early Years and KS1 teachers will also be shared.
- Identify the skills & concepts children need to develop a strong number sense
- Enable children to calculate using non-count-in-ones strategies
- Make effective use of equipment and images to build understanding of key concepts
- Develop mathematical reasoning for all children in EYFS and KS1
Feedback from Gareth's training days held earlier this year
- "Really worthwhile course, It was nice to have laptops and time to explore the website resources so we can find them again later. Well presented, clear, good pace"
- "I will definitely be sharing these resources with my team and using them. So interesting to hear the theory behind learning - all made such sense!"
- "Very though-provoking, practical and purposeful session"
- "Excellent, practical, realistic ideas and very important but useful theories too"
- "I really enjoyed listening to Gareth and finding out lots of new engaging resources. This is going to save me so much time!"
- "Lots of early counting ideas that I have never thought of before! Makes concepts so much easier to see and I think this will have a positive impact in my classes"
- "So nice to get ideas from a 'real' person who knows what may work, one of the most useful maths courses"
- Fantastic training! Loads of practical ideas to take back to the classroom and to share with colleagues. Gareth was so knowledgeable but came from a position of having tried things out in the classroom. It was great to consider what works best for children to help them gain confidence in Early Number"
- "Gareth's delivery made sense and it was relevant to the key stage from beginning to end"
- "Plenty of link to the EYFS"
Harrison Primary School, Harrison Road Fareham, PO16 7EQ
Cost and booking
£100 per delegate, includes lunch & refreshments
(£80 if booked by Thursday 28th February, 2019) Places are strictly limited.
Book via email@example.com or call Paula Parkes on 01329 234016
About Gareth Metcalfe
“My practical training helps to give teachers the knowledge, skills and resources to transform this vision into a classroom reality. Training focuses on improving children's attitudes to maths, showing concepts visually and providing children with extended, challenging learning experiences. I'm a teaching Assistant Head, so the ideas for I See Maths are all born and trialed in my own classroom. I still enjoy the challenge of teaching my own class! My training is accredited as holding the NCETM CPD Standard.”
Follow Gareth on Twitter at: @gareth_metcalfe